This is the 200th anniversary and a lot of ppl, because I made a radio documentary about Wagner, are asking me: what should I listen to?
Here is my answer.
1) The Wesendonck Lieder. This Youtube link to this performance by Astrid Varnay, the greatest singer ever, leads to all five songs:
Why: Here a man aged 44 finally discovers why women are about to be liberated.
2) Die Meistersinger, Act III. Wolfgang Brendel being the most human, empathetic and right-on Hans Sachs ever.
3) Meistersinger Act III: from 41 minutes in. Bryn and Amanda Roocroft being cross-generational lovers.
4) This bit-part episode where the maid Brangane watches over Tristan and Isolde as they make love. Fuckheah ((c) David Karp)
5) The Karfreitag musik from Parsifal in a sublime performance at the BBC, free, forever, Proms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJaztmR66-I
There’s more. that’s it for now, No “Ring” - listen to the documentaries for why I think the Ring second class compared to Tristan/Meistersinger/Parsifal.
If they try to own my data, or integrate it with any other Yahoo service, I will leave. Also if there is any attempt to censor others, or if the cat pictures stop
Don’t feel down …. This is a life’s work. A life’s joy. The next one hundred years are ours…..
National Student Demo. Sussex University. March 25
A good example of the memetics of the current struggle
Stuff I Like
The Situation of Andrew "weev" Auernheimer
via a friend who just visited him in prison.
“Take a moment to realise the scale of what’s been done here [in Cyprus]. No human agency has achieved so much economic destruction in such a short...”
“However much one cursed at the time, one realized afterwards that one had been in contact with something strange and valuable. One had been in a...”